Welcome to the Poetry, Songs and Writers of Scotland
Scotland is steeped in history, traditions and culture, and the poems that stem from that culture are unique, both in language and style.
The purpose of this site is to bring to life the poetry of Scotland, both past and present, and to make it available to the world by raising its profile, while keeping the spirit of Scotland alive in verse.
Featured on this site are:
* Songs and Poems by Burns
* A selection of the ancient Scottish Ballads
* Examples of McGonagall's worst poems
* A list of Scottish Writers and their best-known works
* A selection of Traditional Scottish Songs
* Examples of modern poems and songs written by modern-day indigenous Scots and ex-patriot Scots
* Examples of modern poems and songs written by other modern-day writers from around the world
* A Scots Glossary to help with any Scots words used in the Poems of Burns and others
Who are the Scots?
Thomas Carlyle (1795 - 1881) Writer and literary critic on diverse topics such as the French Revolution and Oliver Cromwell.